Tuesday, July 6, 2010

"Helen"

For those of you who know me, you probably also know that "Helen" is one of my favorite workouts of all time AND that I have a pretty darn good time, compared to all other CrossFitters.

"Helen" is:  3 Rounds for time of:  400m Run, 21 Kettlebell Swings, 12 Pullups.  My PR is 8:12.

So, when Ben suggested that I do "Helen" last Sunday....I thought he was insane.  My first thought was that it was going to take me about 14 minutes.  I KNEW I wouldn't get under 10 minutes.  I KNEW I certainly wouldn't come close to my old PR.  But it was really hard to face the truth, that I was going to be SLOW.  I said I would consider it, but I thought I would do something else.

But, when only Izo showed up for the Sunday 9 a.m. class, and Morgan was behaving....I got talked into doing "Helen".  Izo has never done "Helen", and for someone who is as bad-ass as she is, and has been CrossFitting for as long as she has....she should do "Helen".  So, we decided to ditch the workout of the day and go for the girl!

I started off the first round with a 400m Run in 1:31.  I was pretty pleased with that considering I would probably only be 10-15 seconds faster if I were in "tip top shape".  You never want to go out TOO hard on the first run....  Anyway, I came back in right behind Izo, did all of my kettlebell swings in a row (much to my surprise!), and headed to the pullup bar.  I did not make all 12 pullups in a row, but I was definitely not planning on that!

Each round got progressively slower, of course.  My kettlebell swings were no longer done unbroken, and of course the pullups got harder and harder each round.  The run, too!  It was everything I could do to not walk in my last 400!  This was just not like me!

I finished in 11:32, which was a few minutes faster than I thought I would do, so I am very pleased with that!

Here's a photo of Izo and I after the workout:
I want to be just like Izo when I grow up.

I suppose I shall just post the rest of last week's workouts and musings here as well.  I have been so bad at posting, but now that Morgan is almost 6 weeks old I feel like I am finally a little bit of free time, so I should be able to post more regularly.  Plus my workouts are starting to feel much better, which excites me and makes me want to post more!

WOD 100628
Clean and Jerk, work up to a max for the day of 115#  (compare to PR set April 2009 of 155# in the clean, 146# in the jerk)

Then, 5 rounds for time of:
Deadlift 115#
10 Pull-ups

I used a red band for the pull-ups.  I was toast from "Helen" on Sunday and this workout is basically the same!  HELLO posterior chain - we fried you yesterday, let's do it again today!  I could not do a deadhang pull-up today!

7:something

I could not concentrate, I was exhausted, and Morgan was hungry and all I could think about was how I should be feeding him.  Not my best performance....

WOD100629  (1 month postpartum!)

Soccer.  I played 1/2 the game due to a hungry baby.

WOD100630
Front Squat 3-3-3-3-3
85-95-105-110-115

(compare to previous PR of around 160# I think.  Maybe 155#.....)

I really should have taken this as a rest day.  Again, exhausted, cranky baby.  I did not realize that this would effectively be day #4 in a row, and with soccer the next day, that would make 5 days in a row!

WOD100701

Soccer.  I played almost the entire hour.  Very tired, but played hard.  I played mostly left forward this game.  I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment