Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Week 3 and 4 Workouts and Thoughts

I spent the better part of the past week with an infant attached to my boobs, which made it nearly impossible to do ANYTHING, nevermind update my blog.  Ahhh, the joys of breastfeeding a growing baby....

So, last week, I did manage to get in 3 workouts PLUS 2 soccer games/practices.  I was pretty exhausted by Friday evening, after my 2nd "workout" of the day, which consisted of kicking a soccer ball and practicing my dribbling skills with the soccer ball, so I rested over the weekend.

This week, I also got in 3 workouts, but only 1 soccer game.

WOD100614 (postpartum day 16)
5 Rounds for time of:
5 Thrusters 55#
10 Burpees

7:22

Thrusters felt heavy!  Wow!  I am OUT OF SHAPE!  No problems in this workout, but I had quite the Fran cough later.  Since this was my first workout (besides the 5k), I was afraid that I had gone too hard, but I experienced no ill-effects.

WOD100617 (postpartum day 19)
Deadlift 5-5-3-3-1-1-1
85-125-145-155-165-175-185f
 

My back felt like the limiting factor here.  Well, that and my grip.  I feel good with this 1RM.  It's more than my first-ever 1RM deadlift, which is a good thing :)  I had no idea what to expect going into this workout, but I am okay with the results.

WOD100618 (postpartum day 20)

Front Squat 5-5-3-3-3-1-1
65-85-95-105-115-125-135

Then, 21-15-9 reps for time of:
Overhead Squat 45#
Push-ups

6:46

Very happy with the front squat.  I was feeling the deadlifts from yesterday in the left side of my back.  I could have maybe even done more, but my knees were starting to roll in, and I promised myself I would not push the weights to those that caused my knees to roll in.  I have tight IT bands and weak adductors, and I want to make sure I build up that strength along with the rest of my legs.

WOD100622 (postpartum day 24)
Deadlift 3-3-3
135-145-155

Press 3-3-3-1-1
45-55-65-70-75

I didn't increase the weight in the deadlift from last week, but they felt easier.  I am pretty happy with the press today, as well.  Again, more than I could do when I first started CrossFit, though a good 15 pounds off of my PR.

WOD100623 (postpartum day 25)
Back Squat 5-5-5-5-5
85-105-115-125-135

Then, "Death by Pull-ups"
With a continuously running clock, complete 1 pull-up the first minute, 2 pull-ups the 2nd minute....continue until you cannot complete the required number of reps.

Result:  8!

WOD100625 (postpartum day 27)
"Isabel"
135# Snatch, 30 reps for time.

3:34 with 65#

I have ALWAYS wanted to do Isabel.  Well, as soon as I thought I could do it prescribed (with 95#), anyway.  I'll have to work up to doing it as prescribed, again, and do it in a few months!

THOUGHTS
I've been focusing more on weightlifting and strength work than metcons, lately, which you have probably noticed.  The reason for this is two-fold.  First, because I am playing soccer twice a week (weather depending), and I play midfield, I will be getting some extra metabolic conditioning outside of the gym.  That, and I plan to go mountain biking this summer, at least a few times.  Second, cardio-respiratory endurance comes back the most quickly out of any of the 10 general physical skills, especially for somebody like me, who has a natural strength of cardio-respiratory endurance.

I opted against making a plan for the next couple of months.  As in, I am not going to program for myself ahead of time.  Right now, it's just so hit-or-miss as to whether or not I am going to get a workout in on any given day.  So, I play it by ear.  I know that in a couple of months it will be easier to get a regular workout schedule going.

Nutrition.  I have been mostly paleo.  I did have a couple of early cheats, like I mentioned, which were accidental (food given to me by family - didn't want to be rude!).  I have been eating peanut butter still.  Ben and I had pizza once, and last week I feel prey to the oatmeal cookies.  I have also been eating oatmeal the last couple of mornings because we are all out of fruit!  Need to go to the store....

Anyway, I had an off-week, but I am ready to get back on the paleo.  I feel good about my diet because it has been about 90% good.  Even though I have fallen off the bandwagon, I did not go off the deep end.

At some point, but not yet, I am going to look into zoning my protein, but nothing else.  For you non-crossfitters out there, that means that I will weigh and measure the protein I eat (meat, eggs, fish) each day, but I will not weigh or measure my carbohydrate or fat intake.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment